- Demi Vollering wins the stage and is the overall leader.
- The peloton wanted to toughen up the race on the last pass (Herrera Cat. 3). to decide victory amongst a small group.
Demi Vollering makes history by becoming the first rider to wear the Itzulia Women’s yellow jersey after winning the first stage. The day got off to a calm start, with no breakaways until 39.2 kilometres into the race, when three riders broke away: Mireia Benito (MAT, 131), Cristina Tonetti (TOP, 175) and Prisca Savi (BPK, 163). The leading trio achieved a maximum lead of 3 minutes. The peloton controlled the distance with the riders, reducing the gap on the second pass of the day, Rivas de Tereso (Cat. 2), to 40″. Before the top of Herrera, the peloton caught the last breakaway, Mireia Benito (MAT, 131) and the attacks among the favourites began.
It was not until the start of the descent that the attacks took effect and a very strong group of 4 riders formed: Lucinda Brand (TFS, 11), Ashleigh Moolman-Pasio (SDW, 41), Demi Vollering (SDW, 44) and Elise Chabbey (CSR), 83). The lead grew to 25″. The peloton quickly organised and chased down the breakaway.
With 10km to go, the attacks were back, this time involving Kristen Faulkner (25, BEX), Demi Vollering (SDW, 44), and Pauliena Rooijakkers (CSR, 86) to achieve a lead of 39″. Team DSM pulled out all the stops but could not close the gap.
The group of three riders ultimately reached the finish line with a gap over the peloton and the stage was decided by a sprint. The strongest was Team SD Worx rider Demi Vollering (SDW, 44).
- Overall leader: Demi VOLLERING (SDW, 44)
- Mountain leader: Mireia BENITO (MAT, 131)
- Leader on points: Demi VOLLERING (SDW, 44)
- Youth leader: Niamh, FISHER-BLACK (SDW, 41)
- General team classification: Team SDW Worx
- Best female Basque rider: Nadine, GILL (SWT, 204)